The 75th concert of Paul McCartney's Out There tour took place at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, England.
— Paul McCartney (@PaulMcCartney) May 28, 2015
The concert was the last of a four-date British leg of the tour, and followed two shows at the O2 Arena in London and one at the Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham.
McCartney previously performed at Liverpool's Echo Arena on 20 December 2011.
— Paul McCartney (@PaulMcCartney) May 29, 2015
Prior to a performance of Can't Buy Me Love two fans, Fabrice Gueho and Diane McEvoy, were invited onto the stage. Gueho was holding a sign in the crowd saying: "All my loving I will give to her if you let me propose on stage tonight".
I was so overwhelmed when a security guard came over and asked us to follow him to the side of the stage. I thought I might faint and was just shaking. Myself and Fabrice had always said it would be amazing if we could do something like this and I knew about the sign of course, but we never thought it would work and I had no idea he had the beautiful ring with him.
The couple, both originally from France, met in Liverpool and bonded over their shared love of The Beatles. McEvoy moved to the city to study for a masters in The Beatles, Popular Music and Society at Liverpool’s Hope University, and also works at The Beatles Story tourist attraction.
Gueho bought front-row tickets for the concert and held his banner high in the hope of being spotted by McCartney. They were brought onto the stage and after some introductions McCartney told Gueho: "OK, get on your knee, son."
Unexpectedly, Gueho said: "Paul and Diane, would you both marry me?" When McCartney mock-protested the fan said to him: "Oh sure, just her, not you. But I want to marry you!"
McCartney told him: "Fabrice, I've got a feeling you're not serious about this. Come on, get serious, do it. We're watching."
After Guero finally proposed to McEvoy, McCartney told them: "Well done you two, congratulations. And if I was you, love, I'd get him to ask you again in the morning when he's not pissed!"
I wasn't scared but she was. I tried to make her comfortable by laughing, she was shaking. McCartney was great, just like a normal person. He is nearly 73 and is still playing really well. It was amazing.
— Liverpool Echo (@LivEchonews) May 28, 2015
McCartney's band was Paul 'Wix' Wickens (vocals, keyboards, guitar, percussion, harmonica), Brian Ray (vocals, guitar, bass), Rusty Anderson (vocals, guitar) and Abe Laboriel Jr (vocals, drums).
I'm proud to have been a part of a very special night playing in Paul's hometown, Liverpool at the Echo Arena. Thank you all.
— Brian Ray (@brianrayguitar) May 29, 2015
Great to play in the home country again. Thanks for rocking. Now a couple days off to let the fingers recover,,,
— Paul Wickens (@WixWickens) May 29, 2015
- Eight Days A Week
- Save Us
- Got To Get You Into My Life
- Listen To What The Man Said
- Temporary Secretary
- Let Me Roll It
- Paperback Writer
- My Valentine
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
- The Long And Winding Road
- Maybe I'm Amazed
- I'm Looking Through You
- We Can Work It Out
- Another Day
- Hope For The Future
- And I Love Her
- Here Today
- Queenie Eye
- Lady Madonna
- All Together Now
- Lovely Rita
- Eleanor Rigby
- Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!
- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- Band On The Run
- Back In The USSR
- Let It Be
- Live And Let Die
- Hey Jude
Previous Out There tour dates:
- 4 May 2013: Estadio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- 6 May 2013: Estádio Serra Dourada, Goiânia, Brazil
- 9 May 2013: Estádio Governador Plácido Castelo, Fortaleza, Brazil
- 18 May 2013: Amway Center, Orlando, Florida
- 19 May 2013: Amway Center, Orlando, Florida
- 22 May 2013: Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas
- 23 May 2013: Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas
- 26 May 2013: FedExForum, Memphis, Tennessee
- 29 May 2013: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 30 May 2013: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 8 June 2013: Barclays Center, New York
- 10 June 2013: Barclays Center, New York
- 14 June 2013: Bonnaroo Festival
- 22 June 2013: Stadion Narodowy, Warsaw, Poland
- 25 June 2013: Arena di Verona, Verona, Italy
- 27 June 2013: Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Vienna, Austria
- 7 July 2013: Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa, Canada
- 9 July 2013: Fenway Park, Boston
- 12 July 2013: Nationals Park, Washington, DC
- 14 July 2013: Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis
- 16 July 2013: Miller Park, Milwaukee
- 19 July 2013: Safeco Field, Seattle
- 23 July 2013: Plains of Abraham, Quebec City, Canada
- 9 August 2013: Outside Lands festival, San Francisco
- 12 August 2013: Investors Group Field, Winnipeg, Canada
- 14 August 2013: Mosaic Stadium, Regina, Canada
- 11 November 2013: Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan
- 12 November 2013: Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan
- 15 November 2013: Fukuoka Dome, Fukuoka, Japan
- 18 November 2013: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 19 November 2013: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 21 November 2013: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 19 April 2014: Estadio Centenario, Montevideo, Uruguay
- 22 April 2014: Movistar Arena, Santiago, Chile
- 23 April 2014: Movistar Arena, Santiago, Chile
- 25 April 2014: Estadio Nacional, Lima, Peru
- 28 April 2014: Estadio de Liga, Quito, Ecuador
- 1 May 2014: Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica
- 5 July 2014: Times Union Center, Albany, New York
- 7 July 2014: Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 9 July 2014: United Center, Chicago, Illinois
- 12 July 2014: Fargodome, Fargo, North Dakota
- 14 July 2014: Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 16 July 2014: Sprint Center, Kansas City, Missouri
- 2 August 2014: Target Field, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 5 August 2014: Washington-Grizzly Stadium, Missoula, Montana
- 7 August 2014: EnergySolutions Arena, Salt Lake City
- 10 August 2014: Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
- 12 August 2014: US Airways Center, Phoenix, Arizona
- 14 August 2014: Candlestick Park, San Francisco
- 28 September 2014: Petco Park, San Diego, California
- 1 October 2014: Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, San Antonio, Texas
- 2 October 2014: United Spirit Arena, Lubbock, Texas
- 11 October 2014: Smoothie King Center, New Orleans
- 13 October 2014: American Airlines Center, Dallas, Texas
- 15 October 2014: Philips Arena, Atlanta, Georgia
- 16 October 2014: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, Tennessee
- 25 October 2014: Veterans Memorial Arena, Jacksonville, Florida
- 28 October 2014: KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, Kentucky
- 30 October 2014: Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina
- 10 November 2014: Estádio Kléber Andrade, Cariacica, Brazil
- 12 November 2014: HSBC Arena, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 23 November 2014: Estádio Mané Garrincha, Brasília, Brazil
- 25 November 2014: Allianz Parque, São Paulo, Brazil
- 26 November 2014: Allianz Parque, São Paulo, Brazil
- 21 April 2015: Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan
- 23 April 2015: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 25 April 2015: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 27 April 2015: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 28 April 2015: Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, Japan
- 2 May 2015: Olympic Stadium, Seoul, South Korea
- 23 May 2015: O2 Arena, London
- 24 May 2015: O2 Arena, London
- 27 May 2015: Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham, England
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico
- 1969: Mixing, master compilation: Let It Be, Get Back album
- 1967: The Beatles attend a party at Brian Epstein’s country house
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Worcester
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Rescue Hall, Peterhead, Scotland
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.