This was the 58th night of The Beatles’ lengthiest residency in Hamburg, during which they played a total of 92 nights at the Top Ten Club.
The club was owned by Peter Eckhorn, who paid each of The Beatles 35DM (£3) per day. They were required to play from 7pm until 2am each weekday, and from 8pm until 4am on weekends, with a 15-minute break in each hour.
The performances at the Top Ten were so successful that Eckhorn twice extended The Beatles’ contract. They eventually left Germany following their final show at the club on 1 July 1961, having performed on stage for 503 hours during their stay.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Paul McCartney live: Camping World Stadium, Orlando, Florida
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: Casino Rama, Orillia, Ontario, Canada
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Echo Arena, Liverpool
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico
- 1969: Mixing, master compilation: Let It Be, Get Back album
- 1967: The Beatles attend a party at Brian Epstein’s country house
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Worcester
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Rescue Hall, Peterhead, Scotland
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.