Two scenes for Help! were filmed on this day at Twickenham Film Studios. In the first The Beatles donned disguises – including an early outing for John Lennon in granny glasses and long hair – in an airport terminal as they waited to fly to the Bahamas.
The second featured Ahme, played by Eleanor Bron, on a tank turret, which was used as part of the Salisbury Plain sequence.
Last updated: 21 April 2017
Also on this day...
- 2018: George Harrison’s estate announces new label HariSongs
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2011: McCartney and McCartney II reissue details announced
- 1969: Recording: John And Yoko
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Taxman, And Your Bird Can Sing, Tomorrow Never Knows, I’m Only Sleeping
- 1964: Rehearsal: Around The Beatles
- 1964: US single release: Love Me Do
- 1963: Live: Memorial Hall, Northwich
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.