This was the second edition of Thank Your Lucky Stars to solely feature acts from Liverpool. The first had been recorded on 23 June 1963.
Despite the snowstorm outside, several hundred fans waited outside the Alpha Television (ATV) Studios in Birmingham to catch a glimpse of the group.
In addition to the Merseyside bands appearing with The Beatles on the show, Cavern Club DJ Bob Wooler appeared on the show’s regular ‘Spin-A-Disc’ record review section.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Plastic Ono Band live: Lyceum Ballroom, London
- 1969: Mixing, editing: Get Back album
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s ‘War Is Over’ poster campaign is launched
- 1969: Ringo Starr records a charity appeal for BBC radio
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1964: US album release: Beatles ’65
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.