This was The Beatles’ 65th lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club.
The group’s lunchtime shows in the Cavern typically lasted from 12-2pm. Overall this was their 97th appearance at the Mathew Street cellar club, including their late-night shows.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows at the Mathew Street venue between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Later on this evening they played at the Tower Ballroom in New Brighton, Wallasey.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Plastic Ono Band live at Lyceum Ballroom, London
- 1969: Mixing, editing: Get Back album
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s ‘War Is Over’ poster campaign is launched
- 1969: Ringo Starr records a charity appeal for BBC radio
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1964: US album release: Beatles ’65
- 1963: Television: Thank Your Lucky Stars
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.