The Beatles recorded their contribution to the 1963 Christmas edition of the BBC radio show Saturday Club on this day at the Playhouse Theatre in London.
They also performed a ‘Chrimble Medley’, comprising ‘Love Me Do’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘From Me To You’, She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, and Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, all of which lasted just 29 seconds, and sang a pastiche of Dora Bryan’s seasonal hit All I Want For Christmas Is A Beatle, adapting the words to All I Want For Christmas Is A Bottle.
The recording took place from 3-6.30pm, and was first broadcast on the BBC Light Programme service on 21 December from 10am.
Also on this day...
- 2013: The Beatles Bootleg Recordings 1963 is released on iTunes
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at the 100 Club, London
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at Köln Arena, Cologne
- 1969: Mixing: Plastic Ono Band live at Lyceum Ballroom, London
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed by WABC-AM radio
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono give a press conference in Toronto, Canada
- 1962: Television: People And Places
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: The Beatles’ first photo session
- 1960: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.