The Beatles recorded their contribution to the 1963 Christmas edition of the BBC radio show Saturday Club on this day at the Playhouse Theatre in London.
The Beatles performed six songs: ‘All My Loving’, ‘This Boy’, ‘I Want To Hold Your Hand’, ‘Till There Was You’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’ and ‘She Loves You’.
They also performed a ‘Chrimble Medley’, comprising ‘Love Me Do’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘From Me To You’, She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, and Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, all of which lasted just 29 seconds, and sang a pastiche of Dora Bryan’s seasonal hit All I Want For Christmas Is A Beatle, adapting the words to All I Want For Christmas Is A Bottle.
The recording took place from 3-6.30pm, and was first broadcast on the BBC Light Programme service on 21 December from 10am.
Also on this day...
- 2013: The Beatles Bootleg Recordings 1963 is released on iTunes
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: the 100 Club, London
- 2009: Paul McCartney live: Köln Arena, Cologne
- 1969: Mixing: Plastic Ono Band live: Lyceum Ballroom, London
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed by WABC-AM radio
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono give a press conference in Toronto, Canada
- 1962: Television: People And Places
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: The Beatles’ first photo session
- 1960: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
I wonder who is the photographer of these great pictures of the recording of the Saturday Club. Anyone?