Sir Paul McCartney performed a special lunchtime concert at London’s legendary 100 Club before an audience of just 300 lucky people.
The concert was announced on Tuesday 14 December, and tickets – priced at £60 – sold out almost immediately. The show was McCartney’s most intimate gig since he played the Cavern Club in Liverpool in 1999.
During the concert he performed Johnny Burnette’s Honey Hush, a song which is often part of McCartney’s soundcheck set. He also performed a brief medley of Band On The Run/Let It Snow at the piano, followed by Don’t Let The Sun Catch You Crying.
He also performed the traditional Russian song Petruskka, and a cover version of Marvin Gaye’s Hitch Hike, as he had earlier in the week at the Apollo Theater in New York City.
I’ve played all sorts of different venues over the years and this kind of show presents a different kind of challenge to performing in a stadium.
I love performing and I love connecting with audiences, be it in a stadium or arena or in a club. I’m looking forward to being able to interact with fans on a face-to-face basis, not to mention the smell of sweat and beer.
McCartney is backing a campaign to save the 100 Club from closure caused by rising rents in central London by re-establishing it as a non-profit-making co-operative. See savethe100club.com for more information.
During its 70-year history the club has played host to artists including Louis Armstrong, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Sex Pistols, Oasis and Metallica.
I’ve never played at the 100 Club before and it’s great to be playing at a venue with so much great history that has seen so many brilliant gigs over the years. One of the reasons for playing the 100 Club, besides playing a small club gig, is so that we can be part of the campaign to help the venue stay open for a new generation of up and coming artists – like myself!
- Magical Mystery Tour
- Drive My Car
- All My Loving
- One After 909
- Honey Hush
- Let Me Roll It
- The Long And Winding Road
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five
- Band On The Run/Let It Snow (solo medley)
- Maybe I’m Amazed
- Don’t Let The Sun Catch You Crying
- Calico Skies
- I’m Looking Through You
- And I Love Her
- Dance Tonight
- Eleanor Rigby
- Hitch Hike
- Band On The Run
- Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- Let It Be
- Hey Jude
Also on this day...
- 2013: The Beatles Bootleg Recordings 1963 is released on iTunes
- 2009: Paul McCartney live at Köln Arena, Cologne
- 1969: Mixing: Plastic Ono Band live at Lyceum Ballroom, London
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed by WABC-AM radio
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono give a press conference in Toronto, Canada
- 1963: Radio: Saturday Club
- 1962: Television: People And Places
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1961: The Beatles’ first photo session
- 1960: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.