Sir Paul McCartney praised fans for making the journey to see his concert at London’s HMV Hammersmith Apollo despite heavy snow in England’s capital.
Actually I’m glad you got here, in the warm from the snow. We were thinking there’d be about four of you in the audience!
The show was one of three pre-Christmas concerts in the UK for McCartney, and came the day after his intimate show at London’s 100 Club.
Prior to playing Here Today, McCartney commented that he couldn’t believe it was 30 years since the death of his former songwriting partner. He also joked that All My Loving was “a new song”, and dedicated Maybe I’m Amazed to his late wife Linda and “all the lovers in the audience”.
A 24-piece children’s choir appeared onstage for the first encore song, Wonderful Christmastime.
The HMV Hammersmith Apollo was formerly known as the Hammersmith Odeon. In December 1964 and January 1965 The Beatles played a total of 38 shows over 21 nights, in a season known as Another Beatles Christmas Show.
- ‘Magical Mystery Tour’
- ‘Got To Get You Into My Life’
- ‘All My Loving’
- ‘One After 909’
- ‘Drive My Car’
- ‘Let Me Roll It’
- ‘The Long And Winding Road’
- ‘Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five’
- ‘Maybe I’m Amazed’
- ‘Here Today’
- ‘I’m Looking Through You’
- ‘And I Love Her’
- ‘Dance Tonight’
- ‘Eleanor Rigby’
- Hitch Hike
- ‘Sing The Changes’
- ‘Band On The Run’
- ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’
- ‘Back In The USSR’
- A Day In the Life/‘Give Peace A Chance’
- ‘Let It Be’
- ‘Live And Let Die’
- ‘Hey Jude’
Also on this day...
- 2020: Album release: McCartney III by Paul McCartney
- 2009: McCartney on X Factor chart battle, video for (I Want To) Come Home
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed by Associated Press
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for CBC-TV
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono record a message for Japanese radio
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono appear onstage in a white bag
- 1966: Paul McCartney and Jane Asher attend the première of The Family Way
- 1966: Tara Browne dies
- 1963: Radio: From Us To You
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1962: Travel: Liverpool to Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.