The exterior shots of the Help! scene in which The Beatles sought refuge in a London pub were filmed on this day.
The pub was the City Barge, at 27 Strand-on-the Green, Chiswick, London. The Beatles were filmed walking down the narrow Post Office Alley and onto the towpath by the River Thames. Realising they were being pursued by a group of bagpipe players, they run into the pub.
In the scene, The Beatles eventually emerge via the glass window of the pub, without Ringo Starr, who was trapped in a cellar with a tiger. The interior shots of the pub were filmed at Twickenham Film Studios.
After the scene was complete John Lennon and Paul McCartney left for the day. George Harrison and Ringo Starr filmed a brief unused scene in a telephone box, after which a sequence was filmed, without The Beatles, in the food hall of Harrods in Knightsbridge.
Also on this day...
- 1976: John Lennon and Paul McCartney consider appearing on Saturday Night Live
- 1967: The Beatles watch Donovan perform in London
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Mersey Beat Showcase, London
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Fox And Hounds, Caversham
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.