This was The Beatles’ 14th of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
This first stint at the Star-Club began on Friday 13 April, and came to a close on 31 May 1962. The Beatles left Hamburg on Saturday 2 June.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Last updated: 26 May 2015
Also on this day...
- 2018: George Harrison’s estate announces new label HariSongs
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2011: McCartney and McCartney II reissue details announced
- 1969: Recording: John And Yoko
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Taxman, And Your Bird Can Sing, Tomorrow Never Knows, I’m Only Sleeping
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Rehearsal: Around The Beatles
- 1964: US single release: Love Me Do
- 1963: Live: Memorial Hall, Northwich
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.