This was the final night of The Beatles’ first residency at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The group spent a total of seven weeks performing at the German venue, notching up 172 hours of stage time over 48 nights. Their stint had begun on Friday 13 April.
The Beatles left Hamburg on Saturday 2 June. It was their third residency in Hamburg within two years, but wouldn’t be their last; they returned two more times to the Star-Club before the end of 1962.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Paul McCartney live: Thompson-Boling Arena, Knoxville, Tennessee
- 1968: Recording: Revolution 1
- 1967: Recording, mixing: It’s All Too Much
- 1966: Ringo Starr is photographed for The Beatles Book
- 1964: Live: Prince Of Wales Theatre, London
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southend-on-Sea
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.