Following their 48-night residency at Hamburg’s Star-Club, in which they notched up 172 hours of stage time over seven weeks, The Beatles began their journey back to Liverpool.
In the afternoon they caught a Lufthansa flight to London Airport, from which they caught a connecting flight to Manchester Airport.
They arrived at 7.25pm and were driven to their homes in Liverpool.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at the Event Center, Borgata, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- 2010: Paul McCartney is honoured by President Obama at the White House
- 2009: Paul and Ringo reunite for Beatles Rock Band launch
- 1967: Recording, mixing: It’s All Too Much
- 1967: US album release: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- 1966: Recording, mixing: I Want To Tell You, Yellow Submarine
- 1965: John, George and Ringo attend the première of Richard Lester’s The Knack (And How To Get It)
- 1964: Recording: Any Time At All, Things We Said Today, When I Get Home
- 1963: Live: Hippodrome, Brighton
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: The Institute, Neston, Wirral
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.