Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Norman Smith
Three songs for the non-soundtrack side of the A Hard Day’s Night LP were recorded today: ‘Any Time At All’, ‘Things We Said Today’, and ‘When I Get Home’.
The first of the day’s two recording sessions took place from 10am to 1.15pm. ‘Any Time At All’ was the first to be recorded: seven takes of the rhythm track and vocals were taped, but the song was temporarily left unfinished, with the middle eight needing more work.
‘Things We Said Today’ proved less complicated to record, taking just three attempts to complete. Take one was a false start, but the second take formed the basis of the released song. A third take saw a second vocal track by Paul McCartney, plus tambourine and piano parts.
The afternoon session began at 2.30pm and ended at 5.45pm. The Beatles recorded ‘When I Get Home’ in 11 takes before returning to ‘Any Time At All’. The song was completed in four takes, with the addition of the middle eight, piano and guitar, and a vocal part by McCartney.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: Boch Center, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2018: Ringo Starr live: Event Center, Borgata, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- 2010: Paul McCartney is honoured by President Obama at the White House
- 2009: Paul and Ringo reunite for Beatles Rock Band launch
- 1967: Recording, mixing: It’s All Too Much
- 1967: US album release: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- 1966: Recording, mixing: I Want To Tell You, Yellow Submarine
- 1965: John, George and Ringo attend the première of Richard Lester’s The Knack (And How To Get It)
- 1963: Live: Hippodrome, Brighton
- 1962: Travel: Hamburg to Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: The Institute, Neston, Wirral
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.