This was The Beatles’ 47th of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: CMAC, Canandaigua, New York
- 2018: Limited edition Yellow Submarine picture disc single to be released
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2012: Ringo Starr’s childhood home is saved from demolition
- 2003: Paul McCartney live: the Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1975: UK album release: Venus And Mars by Wings
- 1973: US album release: Living In The Material World by George Harrison
- 1969: UK single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- 1968: Recording: Revolution 1
- 1966: US single release: Paperback Writer
- 1964: Press conference at NEMS Enterprises
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Manchester
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Jacaranda Coffee Bar, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.