Ringo Starr and Neil Aspinall decided to return to England from Greece on this day. They had been in the country to look at possible islands to purchase for The Beatles, their family and friends to live and work on.
Starr’s wife Maureen was in the late stages of pregnancy and had remained in Britain, and he was eager to see her. Their second son Jason was born on 19 August 1967.
It came to nothing. We didn’t buy an island, we came home. We were great at going on holiday with big ideas, but we never carried them out. We were also going to buy a village in England – one with rows of houses on four sides and a village green in the middle. We were going to have a side each.
The other Beatles remained in Greece, and on this day went island-hopping and explored the land they intended to buy.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Paul McCartney live at the Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Bridgestone Arena, Nashville
- 1967: The Beatles visit a Greek island they intended to purchase
- 1964: Live: Opera House, Blackpool
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Cambridge Hall, Southport
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.