It was rush-released just six weeks after it was recorded, while ‘Get Back’ was still at number one in the UK charts. The Ballad Of John And Yoko was released as Apple R 5786, and was The Beatles’ first single in Britain and Europe to be released in stereo.
The single entered the UK charts on 4 June 1969, and the following week reached the number one spot. It stayed there for three weeks, and spent a total of 14 weeks on the charts.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Limited edition Yellow Submarine picture disc single to be released
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2012: Ringo Starr’s childhood home is saved from demolition
- 1975: UK album release: Venus And Mars by Wings
- 1973: US album release: Living In The Material World by George Harrison
- 1968: Recording: Revolution 1
- 1966: US single release: Paperback Writer
- 1964: Press conference at NEMS Enterprises
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Manchester
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Jacaranda Coffee Bar, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.