Eleven days prior to its UK release, Capitol Records issued The Beatles’ single ‘Paperback Writer’/‘Rain’ in the United States.
The single topped the US charts, although its two-week stay at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 was ended by Frank Sinatra’s Strangers In The Night.
Paperback Writer was the only song from 1966 to be performed by The Beatles during their final US tour in August 1966.
Last updated: 21 May 2018
Also on this day...
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: CMAC, Canandaigua, New York
- 2018: Limited edition Yellow Submarine picture disc single to be released
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2012: Ringo Starr’s childhood home is saved from demolition
- 2003: Paul McCartney live: the Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1975: UK album release: Venus And Mars by Wings
- 1973: US album release: Living In The Material World by George Harrison
- 1969: UK single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- 1968: Recording: Revolution 1
- 1964: Press conference at NEMS Enterprises
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Manchester
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Jacaranda Coffee Bar, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
John and George are playing left handed in the photo? The person responsible for the cover photo got it wrong. Oh Well
Both of these songs have a lot of great memories for me and a lot of Beatles fans.