The limited edition 7″ single will be housed in a die-cut picture sleeve, and will be released by Universal Music and Apple Corps on Friday 6 July 2018.
The rear of the sleeve contains a 2015 copyright notice, suggesting that this single contains remixes of the songs originally released on that year’s reissue of the 1 compilation.
Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby was originally released in the United Kingdom on 5 August 1966, and three days later in the US. The two songs also appeared on the soundtrack album to the film, which was released in January 1969.
The single reissue coincides with the 50th anniversary of the film’s release, which took place on 17 July 1968. Yellow Submarine is due to return to selected cinemas worldwide on 8 July, with details at yellowsubmarine.film.
Various new Yellow Submarine products are also due this year, including a graphic novel, book, clothing, and new figurines.
Here’s the press release:
This July marks the 50th anniversary of our animated classic film, Yellow Submarine.
On its release in 1968, Yellow Submarine was instantly recognised as a landmark achievement. The film combined pioneering animation techniques, dazzling visual invention, witty dialogue and of course glorious music.
As part of the celebrations, we are releasing this picture disc of the title song, Yellow Submarine b/w Eleanor Rigby, which together was originally released as the band’s 13th single in August 1966.
Get yours at: TheBeatles.lnk.to/YellowSubmarinePictureDisc
The limited edition 7” features images taken from the high resolution 4K restoration of the film. Come join us 80,000 leagues under the sea, to a place where peace, love and music reign supreme!
Also on this day...
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: CMAC, Canandaigua, New York
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2012: Ringo Starr’s childhood home is saved from demolition
- 2003: Paul McCartney live: the Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1975: UK album release: Venus And Mars by Wings
- 1973: US album release: Living In The Material World by George Harrison
- 1969: UK single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- 1968: Recording: Revolution 1
- 1966: US single release: Paperback Writer
- 1964: Press conference at NEMS Enterprises
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Manchester
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Jacaranda Coffee Bar, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.