It was Harrison’s second solo album after The Beatles’ split, and the highly-anticipated follow-up to All Things Must Pass.
The song ‘Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)’ was released as a single in the US on 7 May 1973, with ‘Miss O’Dell’ on the b-side. In the UK it followed on 25 May.
‘Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)’ topped the Billboard Hot 100 for one week at the end of June 1973. In the UK the single peaked at number eight. It was also a top ten hit in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and Norway.
The album Living In The Material World followed on 30 May 1973 in the US, and 22 June in the UK. It was an immediate success, entering the Billboard Top LPs & Tape chart at number 11, and reaching number 1 the following week. Within two days of being on sale it was certified gold by the RIAA for sales of over 500,000.
In the UK it peaked at number two, held off the top spot by the soundtrack to the Ringo Starr film That’ll Be The Day. However, sales declined when Harrison chose not to release ‘Don’t Let Me Wait Too Long’ as a second single.
Harrison also opted not to promote the album. The exceptions were pre-recorded interview tapes sent to BBC Radio 1. Harrison’s only public appearance at the time was as part of a religious procession through central London on 8 July.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: CMAC, Canandaigua, New York
- 2018: Limited edition Yellow Submarine picture disc single to be released
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: BOK Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- 2012: Ringo Starr’s childhood home is saved from demolition
- 2003: Paul McCartney live: the Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1975: UK album release: Venus And Mars by Wings
- 1969: UK single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- 1968: Recording: Revolution 1
- 1966: US single release: Paperback Writer
- 1964: Press conference at NEMS Enterprises
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Manchester
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Jacaranda Coffee Bar, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.