It was Harrison’s second solo album after The Beatles’ split, and the highly-anticipated follow-up to All Things Must Pass.
The song ‘Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)’ was released as a single in the US on 7 May 1973, with ‘Miss O’Dell’ on the b-side. In the UK it followed on 25 May.
‘Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)’ topped the Billboard Hot 100 for one week at the end of June 1973. In the UK the single peaked at number eight. It was also a top ten hit in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and Norway.
The album Living In The Material World followed on 30 May 1973 in the US, and 22 June in the UK. It was an immediate success, entering the Billboard Top LPs & Tape chart at number 11, and reaching number 1 the following week. Within two days of being on sale it was certified gold by the RIAA for sales of over 500,000.
In the UK it peaked at number two, held off the top spot by the soundtrack to the Ringo Starr film That’ll Be The Day. However, sales declined when Harrison chose not to release ‘Don’t Let Me Wait Too Long’ as a second single.
Harrison also opted not to promote the album. The exceptions were pre-recorded interview tapes sent to BBC Radio 1. Harrison’s only public appearance at the time was as part of a religious procession through central London on 8 July.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, North Carolina
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Stadion Narodowy, Warsaw, Poland
- 1968: Paul McCartney addresses Capitol Records conference
- 1968: The Beatles purchase Apple headquarters at 3 Savile Row, London
- 1966: Mixing: Eleanor Rigby, She Said She Said, Good Day Sunshine, Yellow Submarine, Tomorrow Never Knows, Got To Get You Into My Life
- 1965: Live: Palais d’Hiver, Lyon, France
- 1964: Live: Town Hall, Wellington, New Zealand
- 1964: Mixing, editing: A Hard Day’s Night album, Long Tall Sally EP songs
- 1963: Live: Town Hall, Abergavenny
- 1963: Television: Juke Box Jury
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Recording: My Bonnie, The Saints, Why, Cry For A Shadow
- 1957: Live: Rosebery St, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.