The Beatles and their wives all took holidays in the early summer of 1969: Paul and Linda McCartney in Corfu; Ringo Starr and Maureen Starkey on a cruise aboard the QE2 then on to the Bahamas; John Lennon and Yoko Ono held their second bed-in in Montreal; and George and Pattie Harrison in Sardinia.
The Harrisons were the last of the four couples to leave England. They flew on this day from London Airport to Sardinia, returning on 23 June 1969.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at the Music Box, Borgata, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- 1981: US album release: Somewhere In England by George Harrison
- 1973: UK single release: Live And Let Die by Wings
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono record Give Peace A Chance
- 1969: John Lennon argues with Al Capp in Montreal
- 1967: Recording: Untitled
- 1967: UK album release: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- 1966: Recording: Yellow Submarine
- 1964: Recording: Matchbox, I’ll Cry Instead, Slow Down, I’ll Be Back
- 1963: Live: Granada Cinema, Tooting, London
- 1963: Radio: Pop Go The Beatles
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.