Although the pair were on good terms, the encounter was not a success. McCartney turned up unannounced at the Dakota building, where Lennon lived, and was turned away.
That was a period when Paul just kept turning up at our door with a guitar. I would let him in, but finally I said to him, 'Please call before you come over. It's not 1956, and turning up at the door isn't the same anymore. You know, just give me a ring.' He was upset by that, but I didn't mean it badly. I just meant that I was taking care of a baby all day, and some guy turns up at the door.
All We Are Saying, David Sheff
McCartney left for Dallas, Texas, where the following day Wings began rehearsals for the US leg of their world tour. Although he stayed in contact with Lennon until the latter's death in 1980, the pair would never again meet face-to-face.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Nacional, Lima, Peru
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Estádio da Ressacada, Florianópolis, Brazil
- 1969: Mixing: Two Of Us
- 1967: Recording: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Mixing: Got To Get You Into My Life
- 1964: Rehearsal: Around The Beatles
- 1963: Live: Mersey Beat Showcase, Croydon
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.