This was the 25th night of The Beatles' lengthiest residency in Hamburg, during which they played a total of 92 nights at the Top Ten Club.
The club was owned by Peter Eckhorn, who paid each of The Beatles 35DM (£3) per day. They were required to play from 7pm until 2am each weekday, and from 8pm until 4am on weekends, with a 15-minute break in each hour.
The performances at the Top Ten were so successful that Eckhorn twice extended The Beatles' contract. They eventually left Germany following their final show at the club on 1 July 1961, having performed on stage for 503 hours during their stay.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Nacional, Lima, Peru
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at Estádio da Ressacada, Florianópolis, Brazil
- 1976: John Lennon and Paul McCartney’s final meeting
- 1969: Mixing: Two Of Us
- 1967: Recording: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1966: Mixing: Got To Get You Into My Life
- 1964: Rehearsal: Around The Beatles
- 1963: Live: Mersey Beat Showcase, Croydon
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.