The Beatles played two shows in Staffordshire on this evening. This second one was at the Adelphi Ballroom om New Street in West Bromwich.
The group’s first show of the night had been at the Smethwick Baths Ballroom on Thimblemill Road in Bearwood, Smethwick. This was the only time they performed at each venue.
The Adelphi Ballroom was a popular venue with touring bands, but burned down in the early hours of Sunday 23 May 1971.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2012: Paul McCartney autographed tie auctioned for male cancer fundraiser
- 2009: Two Beatles download sites to remain closed indefinitely
- 1995: Sir George Martin appears on the BBC’s Desert Island Discs
- 1976: UK album release: Thirty Three & 1/3 by George Harrison
- 1966: Paul McCartney has the idea for Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Wolverhampton
- 1962: Live: Smethwick Baths Ballroom, Smethwick
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.