It was Harrison’s first release on his Dark Horse record label.
The first single from Thirty Three & ⅓ was ‘This Song’, released on 15 November 1976. It reached number 25 on the US Billboard Hot 100, yet failed to chart in the UK. The single was an edited version with 20 seconds missing.
Thirty Three & ⅓ was released in the UK on 19 November 1976, and five days later in the US.
Its highest international chart placing was number 10 on the Canadian RPM Top Albums chart. In America it peaked at number 11 on the Billboard 200, while in the UK it went no higher than number 35. It was Harrison’s first album since All Things Must Pass not to reach the US Top Ten.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2012: Paul McCartney autographed tie auctioned for male cancer fundraiser
- 2009: Two Beatles download sites to remain closed indefinitely
- 1995: Sir George Martin appears on the BBC’s Desert Island Discs
- 1966: Paul McCartney has the idea for Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Wolverhampton
- 1962: Live: Adelphi Ballroom, West Bromwich
- 1962: Live: Smethwick Baths Ballroom, Smethwick
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.