The Beatles played two shows in Staffordshire on this evening. The first was at the Smethwick Baths Ballroom on Thimblemill Road in Bearwood, Smethwick.
The group’s second show of the night was at the Adelphi Ballroom in West Bromwich. This was the only time they performed at each venue.
Smethwick Baths were known locally as Thimblemill Baths. The venue is today called Smethwick Swimming Centre.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2012: Paul McCartney autographed tie auctioned for male cancer fundraiser
- 2009: Two Beatles download sites to remain closed indefinitely
- 1995: Sir George Martin appears on the BBC’s Desert Island Discs
- 1976: UK album release: Thirty Three & 1/3 by George Harrison
- 1966: Paul McCartney has the idea for Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Wolverhampton
- 1962: Live: Adelphi Ballroom, West Bromwich
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.