Paul McCartney kicked off his Out There tour with a brand new setlist at Estadio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
The concert included first live renditions for Beatles songs ‘Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!’, ‘Your Mother Should Know’, ‘Lovely Rita’ and ‘All Together Now’. It opened with ‘Eight Days A Week’, which The Beatles performed live just once, in 1965.
Towards the end of the concert four fans were brought onto the stage. Priscila Brito, 27, Luisa Mattos, 25, Camila Flores, 25 and Cecilia Cury, 21, had organised a petition to encourage McCartney to play in Belo Horizonte. McCartney publicly thanked the girls and signed Cury’s Beatles tattoo.
All tickets for the concert sold out, with 55,000 people in attendance. The tour is to include dates in the US, Canada, Italy, Austria and Poland.
McCartney’s band was Paul ‘Wix’ Wickens (vocals, keyboards, guitar, percussion, harmonica), Brian Ray (vocals, guitar, bass), Rusty Anderson (vocals, guitar) and Abe Laboriel Jr (vocals, drums).
We had a RAD opening last night
I had a few 'pinch yourself' moments as we glided through a very exciting night for 53,000 in #Brazil!
— Brian Ray (@brianrayguitar) May 5, 2013
twas so nice to get back into the live zone again. what a great night we had. thank you belo horizonte!
— Rusty Anderson (@rustyanderson1) May 5, 2013
Thank you Belo Horizonte!!!!
We are still buzzing from the great audience!!!
We are so happy to be #outthere with you all!!!
: ) >
— abe laboriel jr (@ogabejr) May 5, 2013
OK OK . . I had a great time too. Fab crowd, thank you all. I hope you got to bed before we did!
— Paul Wickens (@WixWickens) May 5, 2013
- ‘Eight Days A Week’
- ‘Junior’s Farm’
- ‘All My Loving’
- ‘Listen To What The Man Said’
- ‘Let Me Roll It’
- ‘Paperback Writer’
- ‘My Valentine’
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
- ‘The Long And Winding Road’
- ‘Maybe I’m Amazed’
- ‘Hope Of Deliverance’
- ‘We Can Work It Out’
- ‘Another Day’
- ‘And I Love Her’
- ‘Here Today’
- ‘Your Mother Should Know’
- ‘Lady Madonna’
- ‘All Together Now’
- ‘Mrs Vandebilt’
- ‘Eleanor Rigby’
- ‘Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!’
- ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’
- ‘Band On The Run’
- ‘Hi, Hi, Hi’
- ‘Back In The USSR’
- ‘Let It Be’
- ‘Live And Let Die’
- ‘Hey Jude’
Also on this day...
- 2018: Sir Paul McCartney is made a Companion of Honour at Buckingham Palace
- 1969: Ringo Starr, John Lennon and Paul McCartney attend a wrap party for The Magic Christian
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono buy Tittenhurst Park
- 1967: Mixing: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: John and Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison and Pattie Boyd fly to Tahiti
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.