Seven mono mixes of the Magical Mystery Tour song were created during this session.
These were numbered 1-7, even though four previous mixes had been made on 27 April 1967.
There was some uncertainty whether mix five or seven was the best, though eventually the latter was selected to be used during the Magical Mystery Tour television special. Several sound effects were later added during film editing, including applause and coach noises.
None of the day's mixes were issued on record, however, as new mixes – and an additional vocal overdub – were made on 7 November 1967. At this stage, though, the song was considered complete.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Sir Paul McCartney is made a Companion of Honour at Buckingham Palace
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- 1969: Ringo Starr, John Lennon and Paul McCartney attend a wrap party for The Magic Christian
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono buy Tittenhurst Park
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: John and Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison and Pattie Boyd fly to Tahiti
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.