This was The Beatles’ 21st of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Sir Paul McCartney is made a Companion of Honour at Buckingham Palace
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- 1969: Ringo Starr, John Lennon and Paul McCartney attend a wrap party for The Magic Christian
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono buy Tittenhurst Park
- 1967: Mixing: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: John and Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison and Pattie Boyd fly to Tahiti
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.