The second day of location filming on Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire involved work on several scenes for Help!, The Beatles’ second feature film.
The mimed performance of George Harrison’s ‘I Need You’ was among the scenes filmed during this time. Also on hand were troops from 3 Division, Royal Artillery, who were on exercises there at the time. The army also allowed their tanks and other equipment to appear in the film.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Sir Paul McCartney is made a Companion of Honour at Buckingham Palace
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Estadio Mineirão, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- 1969: Ringo Starr, John Lennon and Paul McCartney attend a wrap party for The Magic Christian
- 1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono buy Tittenhurst Park
- 1967: Mixing: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1964: John and Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison and Pattie Boyd fly to Tahiti
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.