The Beatles gave their 64th lunchtime performance at Liverpool's Cavern Club on this day. This was also the 14th occasion on which they performed both lunchtime and evening shows at the venue, and the final such occurrence in 1961.
The date would not be notable but for the attendance of Mike Smith, an A&R assistant at the Decca label, at the later show.
The group's lunchtime shows in the Cavern typically lasted from 1-2pm. Overall this was their 95th appearance at the Mathew Street cellar club, including their late-night shows.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows at the Mathew Street venue between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2012: Paul McCartney live at 121212: The Concert For Sandy Relief
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at the Apollo Theater, New York
- 1965: The Beatles discuss their third film project
- 1963: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Southampton
- 1962: Live: Corn Exchange, Bedford
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.