The Beatles gave their 61st lunchtime performance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club on this day.
The group’s lunchtime shows in the Cavern typically lasted from 12-2pm. Overall this was their 94th appearance at the Mathew Street cellar club, including their late-night shows.
Although the precise number of their Cavern performances is not known, The Beatles played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows at the Mathew Street venue between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Last updated: 25 May 2015
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney appears on Saturday Night Live
- 2009: Rubber Soul to be released as Rock Band download next week
- 1970: Album release: John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
- 1969: George Harrison live: Falkoner Theatre, Copenhagen with Delaney & Bonnie
- 1969: World première of The Magic Christian in London
- 1968: John Lennon appears in The Rolling Stones’ Rock And Roll Circus
- 1965: Live: Astoria Cinema, Finsbury Park, London
- 1963: Live: Futurist Theatre, Scarborough
- 1962: Live: La Scala Ballroom, Runcorn
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.