This was The Beatles’ fifth performance at St John’s Hall on Snaefell Avenue in Tuebrook, Liverpool.
Mona Best, mother of Pete and owner of the Casbah Coffee Club, also ran some nights at St John’s Hall. The venue shouldn’t be confused with a hall in Bootle of the same name where The Beatles also performed.
Joining The Beatles on the bill were The Big Three, who also on this occasion were the backing band for singer Cilla White – later known as Cilla Black.
The Beatles played at Liverpool’s St John’s Hall on 11 occasions. The other dates were 17 February; 10 March; 13 and 20 July; 3, 10, 17, 24 and 31 August; and 8 September 1961.
Last updated: 8 September 2012
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live: Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada
- 2008: Neil Aspinall left nearly £7m in his will
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.