This was The Beatles' eighth performance at St John's Hall on Snaefell Avenue in Tuebrook, Liverpool.
Mona Best, mother of Pete and owner of the Casbah Coffee Club, also ran some nights at St John's Hall. The venue shouldn't be confused with a hall in Bootle of the same name where The Beatles also performed.
On this occasion they were joined on bass guitar by Johnny Gustafson, a member of The Big Three, who were also on the bill. Liberated from having to hold an instrument, Paul McCartney wandered the stage and into the audience, singing in the style of solo performers of the era.
Also on this day...
- 2016: Paul McCartney signs to Capitol Records
- 1969: Paul McCartney produces Mary Hopkin’s Que Sera, Sera
- 1968: George and Pattie Harrison fly to Greece
- 1966: Live: Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada
- 1965: Live: Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Llandudno
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1960: The Beatles’ first performance in Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.