This was The Beatles’ 118th evening show at the Cavern Club. It was also the 45th and final occasion on which they performed both lunchtime and evening shows at the venue.
They topped a bill which also featured The Fourmost and The Merseybeats. Also due to appear were folk singers Robin Hall and Jimmie MacGregor, but they couldn’t make it due to snow and sub-zero temperatures.
In December 1962, the folksingers from the Tonight programme, Robin Hall and Jimmie MacGregor, were booked to appear with The Beatles at the Cavern. I went on stage and said, ‘I have got some dreadful news for you. Because of this terrible weather, one of the acts is not able to appear tonight.’ There were gasps, I was milking it of course, and when I named the act that couldn’t make it, Robin Hall and Jimmie MacGregor, everyone applauded.
Overall this was The Beatles’ 268th appearance at the cellar venue in Mathew Street, including their lunchtime shows.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live: Hartwall Areena, Helsinki, Finland
- 1995: US single release: Free As A Bird
- 1969: George Harrison live: Falkoner Theatre, Copenhagen with Delaney & Bonnie
- 1969: John Lennon is interviewed for South African radio
- 1969: Album release: Live Peace In Toronto 1969 by Plastic Ono Band
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for Dutch television
- 1968: John Lennon and Yoko Ono are interviewed for BBC radio’s Night Ride
- 1965: Live: Capitol Cinema, Cardiff
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Nottingham
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.