A television tribute to George Martin, With A Little Help From My Friends, was filmed on this day.
Ringo Starr was among the guests taking part in the televisual spectacular, which also featured Dudley Moore, The Hollies, Blue Mink, Lulu, Spike Milligan and dancers Pan’s People, plus Martin himself conducting the 40-piece George Martin Orchestra.
With A Little Help From My Friends was filmed in Studio Four at The Television Centre in Leeds. It was made by Yorkshire Television, which the previous year had won the ITV franchise for the north of England.
Starr’s contribution was to mime to ‘Octopus’s Garden’. Because of a Musicians’ Union ban on lip-syncing on British television, however, parts of the song had been re-recorded on 8 December to give the impression of a live performance.
The re-recording featured new vocals, piano, lead guitar and bass guitar, with all but the vocals performed by session musicians.
With A Little Help From My Friends was shown in most ITV regions from 6-7pm on Christmas Eve. Its producer was David Mallet.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney live at Olimpiyskiy Arena, Moscow, Russia
- 2009: Sir Paul McCartney appears on the X Factor
- 2009: UK album release: Good Evening New York City by Paul McCartney
- 1999: Paul McCartney live at the Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 1963: Live: Wimbledon Palais, London
- 1962: Live: Music Hall, Shrewsbury
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.