Sir Paul McCartney performed the first of two concerts at Montreal’s Bell Centre.
Prior to the show he and his band performed a sound check before a limited number of guests and fans.
The soundcheck setlist:
- ‘Honey Don’t’
- Coming Up
- Montreal (improvisation)
- Don’t Let The Sun Catch You Crying
- (I Want To) Come Home
- San Francisco Bay Blues
- ‘Things We Said Today’
- Dance Tonight
- Leaning On A Lamppost
- ‘Lady Madonna’
McCartney’s band was Paul ‘Wix’ Wickens (vocals, keyboards, guitar, percussion, harmonica), Brian Ray (vocals, guitar, bass), Rusty Anderson (vocals, guitar) and Abe Laboriel Jr (vocals, drums).
The concert was scheduled to begin at 8pm but began 35 minutes late. The band played two Beatles songs not previously performed during the On The Run tour – Birthday and Michelle. Birthday was a tribute to Mick Jagger, whose 68th birthday it was.
McCartney began the set with Hello, Goodbye.
After the first encore a Japanese fan was invited onto the stage. McCartney asked her name and was told “Yoko”, much to his amusement and the delight of the crowd.
Here’s the full setlist:
- Hello Goodbye
- Junior’s Farm
- ‘All My Loving’
- Sing The Changes
- ‘The Night Before’
- Let Me Roll It
- ‘Paperback Writer’
- ‘The Long And Winding Road’
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
- Let ‘Em In
- Maybe I’m Amazed
- ‘I’m Looking Through You’
- ‘I Will’
- Here Today
- Dance Tonight
- Mrs Vandebilt
- ‘Eleanor Rigby’
- Band On The Run
- ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’
- ‘Back In The USSR’
- ‘I’ve Got A Feeling’
- ‘A Day In The Life’/Give Peace A Chance
- ‘Let It Be’
- Live and Let Die
- ‘Hey Jude’
Forthcoming dates in the On The Run tour:
- 27 – Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec
- 31 – Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
- 1 – Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
- 4 – Great American Ballpark, Cincinnati, OH
Also on this day...
- 2018: Paul McCartney live at the Cavern Club, Liverpool
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Bridgestone Arena, Nashville
- 1967: The Beatles visit a Greek island they intended to purchase
- 1967: Ringo Starr returns to England from Greece
- 1964: Live: Opera House, Blackpool
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Cambridge Hall, Southport
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.