The Beatles’ former drummer Pete Best is to have a street in Liverpool named after him.
Another is to be named after the Casbah Coffee Club, which was started by his mother Mona in 1959.
Pete Best Drive and Casbah Close will be situated on a new housing estate to be built on Everton Football Club’s former training ground at Bellfield in West Derby. The building which housed the Casbah Coffee Club, where The Beatles played some of their earliest shows, is less than half a mile away.
I feel very humbled, very flattered and very honoured that the city of Liverpool, council members and the people of Liverpool have thought to honour me in such a fantastic way.
The Cashbah Coffee Club was the catalyst for the Merseybeat sound. It was the original birthplace of The Beatles on August 29 1959 and it is great that I’ve been associated with that as well.
I just wish that she [Mona] was still here to receive the honour herself because she was the mother of merseybeat and her memory, The Casbah Close, will live on alongside my name.
In the early 1980s a set of Liverpool streets were named after the other Beatles. John Lennon Drive, Paul McCartney Way, George Harrison Close and Ringo Starr Drive were approved by Liverpool council in the late 1970s, and are situated in the Kensington Fields housing estate. The estate officially opened in November 1981, and a few years later Epstein Court, Apple Court and Cavern Court were built in the area.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Paul McCartney live: Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts, Liverpool
- 2005: UK album release: Choose Love by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Recording: Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Come Together, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
- 1968: Recording: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 1967: John Lennon and Ringo Starr go sightseeing in Athens
- 1964: Television: Juke Box Jury
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Cabaret Club, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.