Harrison was the first to appear. From 4.30-5.10pm he rehearsed, and took part in a subsequent half-hour vision test. The edition was broadcast live from 5.40-6.05pm. Also on the panel were Alexandra Bastedo, Reg Varney and Carole Ann Ford.
The songs voted either a hit or a miss were: a cover of I Should Have Known Better by The Naturals (miss); What Am I To You by Kenny Lynch (miss); Soulful Dress by Sugar Pie De Santo (hit); How Can I Tell Her by The Fourmost (hit); Heart by David Nelson (miss); Spanish Harlem by Sounds Incorporated (hit); All Grown Up by The Crystals (miss); She’s Not There by The Zombies (hit); and Ain’t Love Good, Ain’t Love Proud by Tony Clarke (hit).
Starr’s appearance was pre-recorded on this day, and was first broadcast a week later. Joining him were Katie Boyle, Judy Cornwell and Ray Martine.
They voted on seven songs: Thinking Of You by The Dave Clark Five (hit); A Summer Song by Chad Stuart and Jeremy Clyde (miss); Don’t It Make You Feel Good by The Overlanders (hit); It’s For You by Cilla Black (hit); Move It Baby by Simon Scott (hit); I Wouldn’t Trade You For The World by The Bachelors (hit); and Not For Me by Sammy Davis Jr (miss). The panel also reviewed Dang Me by Johnny Duncan and The Fever by Jody Miller, but the verdicts were left out of the broadcast.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Paul McCartney live at Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts, Liverpool
- 2011: Liverpool streets to be named after Pete Best and Casbah Coffee Club
- 1969: Recording: Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Come Together, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
- 1968: Recording: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 1967: John Lennon and Ringo Starr go sightseeing in Athens
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Cabaret Club, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.