The Beatles performed at a special midnight revue show at the London Palladium, entitled The Night Of A Hundred Stars, in aid of the Combined Theatrical Charities Appeals Council.
A number of other celebrities, including Sir Laurence Olivier and Judy Garland, also appeared. The Beatles acted in a ballet sketch which involved them being suspended high above the stage. They also gave a brief musical performance in part two of the show.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Plains of Abraham, Quebec City, Canada
- 1969: Recording: Oh! Darling, Come Together, The End
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey, Good Night
- 1967: The Beatles go sightseeing in Greece
- 1965: UK single release: Help!
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1961: Live: Blair Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.