Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Ken Scott
This session, which took place from 7pm-2.30am, saw the completion of Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey, and mono mixes of the song and Good Night.
Two reduction mixes, numbered takes 11 and 12, were then made, and a second lead vocal track was added, along with background shouting, handclaps, and additional snare drum by Ringo Starr following the title. Paul McCartney also recorded a second bass guitar part, which can be heard from 2'03" in the final recording.
An edit is also likely to have been made during this session, at 2'11", although the tape logs show no documentation. The song was then mixed in mono in five attempts, but a better version, along with the stereo mix, was made on 12 October.
The session ended with the creation of six mono mixes of Good Night.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Paul McCartney live at Abbey Road Studios, London
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Plains of Abraham, Quebec City, Canada
- 1969: Recording: Oh! Darling, Come Together, The End
- 1967: The Beatles go sightseeing in Greece
- 1965: UK single release: Help!
- 1964: Live: The Night Of A Hundred Stars
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1961: Live: Blair Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.