The penultimate show of The Silver Beetles’ Saturday night residency at the notoriously rough Grosvenor Ballroom in Liscard, Wallasey.
The Grosvenor Ballroom in Wallasey was one of the worst places; there would be a hundred Wallasey lads squaring up to a hundred lads from Seacombe and all hell would break loose. I remember one night a rumble had started before I realised what was happening. I ran to the stage to save my Elpico amp, my pride and joy at the time. There were fists flying everywhere. One Ted grabbed me and said, ‘Don’t move, or you’re bloody dead!’ I was scared for my life, but I had to get that amp.
The Beatles performed at the Grosvenor Ballroom on 14 occasions between June 1960 and September 1961. The other dates were 4, 6, 11, 18 and 25 June; 2, 9, 16 and 30 July; 24 December 1960; 24 February; 10 March; and 15 September 1961.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Paul McCartney live at Abbey Road Studios, London
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Plains of Abraham, Quebec City, Canada
- 1969: Recording: Oh! Darling, Come Together, The End
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey, Good Night
- 1967: The Beatles go sightseeing in Greece
- 1965: UK single release: Help!
- 1964: Live: The Night Of A Hundred Stars
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1961: Live: Blair Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.