Sir Paul McCartney played a concert at London's Royal Albert Hall in aid of Teenage Cancer Trust.
It was the fourth show in the 2012 leg of the On The Run tour. McCartney rearranged the European tour dates specifically to play the concert for the cancer charity, which has The Who's Roger Daltrey as one of its patrons.
The concert was introduced by Paul Weller, who described McCartney as "a fella I've been listening to my whole life". Weller and Daltrey both joined McCartney's band on stage for a performance of The Beatles' Get Back, also featuring The Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood.
This was McCartney's first performance at the Royal Albert Hall since the Concert For George in 2002. It was also the 141st anniversary of the venue's official opening ceremony by Queen Victoria and Edward, Prince of Wales, in 1871.
The set was shorter than other On The Run dates, with several songs dropped. McCartney's band was Paul 'Wix' Wickens (vocals, keyboards, guitar, percussion, harmonica), Brian Ray (vocals, guitar, bass), Rusty Anderson (vocals, guitar) and Abe Laboriel Jr (vocals, drums).
- Magical Mystery Tour
- Junior's Farm
- All My Loving
- Drive My Car
- Sing The Changes
- The Night Before
- Let Me Roll It
- Paperback Writer
- The Long And Winding Road
- Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
- My Valentine
- Maybe I'm Amazed
- I've Just Seen A Face
- Here Today
- Dance Tonight
- Eleanor Rigby
- Band On The Run
- Back In The USSR
- I've Got A Feeling
- Let It Be
- Live and Let Die
- Hey Jude
Previous On The Run tour dates:
- 15 July 2011: Yankee Stadium, New York
- 16 July 2011: Yankee Stadium, New York
- 24 July 2011: Comerica Park, Detroit
- 26 July 2011: Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada
- 27 July 2011: Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada
- 31 July 2011: Wrigley Field, Chicago
- 1 August 2011: Wrigley Field, Chicago
- 4 August 2011: Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati
- 13 November 2011: Yas Arena, Abu Dhabi
- 26 November 2011: Unipol Arena, Bologna, Italy
- 27 November 2011: Mediolanum Forum, Milan, Italy
- 30 November 2011: Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France
- 1 December 2011: Lanxess Arena, Köln, Germany
- 5 December 2011: O2 Arena, London
- 10 December 2011: Ericsson Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
- 12 December 2011: Hartwall Areena, Helsinki, Finland
- 14 December 2011: Olimpiyskiy Arena, Moscow, Russia
- 19 December 2011: Manchester Evening News Arena, Manchester
- 20 December 2011: Echo Arena, Liverpool
- 24 March 2012: Ahoy, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- 26 March 2012: Hallenstadion, Zurich, Switzerland
- 28 March 2012: Sportpaleis, Antwerp, Belgium
Also on this day...
- 1970: Television: Ringo Starr on Frost On Sunday
- 1967: Recording: Good Morning Good Morning, Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!, With A Little Help From My Friends
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Lewisham
- 1962: Live: Odd Spot Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.