This was the 11th of The Beatles’ 17 concert appearances at the Majestic Ballrom in Birkenhead.
The venue was owned by Top Rank, Britain’s largest entertainment organisation at the time, which ran ballrooms, cinemas, theatres and bingo halls around the country. The Beatles played at 12 of the company’s 28 ballrooms.
Their other performances at the Majestic Ballroom took place on 28 June; 5, 12, 19 and 28 July; 17 and 24 August; 8 and 22 September; 15 October; 29 November; and 15 December 1962; and 17 and 31 January; 21 February; and 10 April 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Estádio do Morumbi, São Paulo, Brazil
- 2008: The Vatican forgives Lennon for Jesus remarks
- 1989: Paul McCartney interviewed in New York City
- 1968: UK album release: The Beatles (White Album)
- 1967: Tape copying: Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise), Nowhere Man
- 1963: Live: Globe Cinema, Stockton-on-Tees
- 1963: UK album release: With The Beatles
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg – The Beatles perform without George Harrison
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.