This was the fourth of The Beatles' 17 concert appearances at the Majestic Ballrom in Birkenhead.
The venue was owned by Top Rank, Britain's largest entertainment organisation at the time, which ran ballrooms, cinemas, theatres and bingo halls around the country. The Beatles played at 12 of the company's 28 ballrooms.
The Beatles had been booked to perform regularly on Thursday nights at the Majestic Ballroom in Birkenhead between 28 June and 12 July, but the season was extended for a further week due to popular demand.
Their other performances at the Majestic Ballroom took place on 28 June; 5, 12 and 28 July; 17 and 24 August; 8 and 22 September; 15 October; 22 and 29 November; and 15 December 1962; and 17 and 31 January; 21 February; and 10 April 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Greek Theatre, Los Angeles, California
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Safeco Field, Seattle
- 1968: Recording: Sexy Sadie
- 1967: The Beatles discuss purchasing a Greek island
- 1965: US single release: Help!
- 1964: Television: Blackpool Night Out
- 1963: Live: Ritz Ballroom, Rhyl
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.