This was the third of The Beatles’ 17 concert appearances at the Majestic Ballrom in Birkenhead.
The venue was owned by Top Rank, Britain’s largest entertainment organisation at the time, which ran ballrooms, cinemas, theatres and bingo halls around the country. The Beatles played at 12 of the company’s 28 ballrooms.
Their other performances at the Majestic Ballroom took place on 28 June; 5, 19 and 28 July; 17 and 24 August; 8 and 22 September; 15 October; 22 and 29 November; and 15 December 1962; and 17 and 31 January; 21 February; and 10 April 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Santa Barbara Bowl, Santa Barbara, California
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Fargodome, Fargo, North Dakota
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Nationals Park, Washington, DC
- 2008: George Martin is honoured by the Grammy Foundation
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Don’t Pass Me By, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Revolution
- 1966: The Beatles receive three Ivor Novello awards
- 1964: Live: Hippodrome, Brighton
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens, Margate
- 1963: UK EP release: Twist And Shout
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1958: Recording: In Spite Of All The Danger, That’ll Be The Day
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.