This was the first of five consecutive Sunday concerts at English seaside resorts.
On the way to the venue, George Harrison was involved in a minor road accident while driving his new E-Type Jaguar car on the New Kings Road in Fulham, London. Passing pedestrians collected bits of broken glass as souvenirs.
I had a band and Brian put us on the same bill with The Beatles and The Fourmost one night. Backstage, we talked, but the wind had changed since we last saw each other. They were pleasant.
Also on the bill were The Fourmost, a Liverpool band managed by Brian Epstein. The Beatles had previously played at Brighton's Hippodrome on 2 June 1963, and returned for a final visit on 25 October 1964.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Santa Barbara Bowl, Santa Barbara, California
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Fargodome, Fargo, North Dakota
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Nationals Park, Washington, DC
- 2008: George Martin is honoured by the Grammy Foundation
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Don’t Pass Me By, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Revolution
- 1966: The Beatles receive three Ivor Novello awards
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens, Margate
- 1963: UK EP release: Twist And Shout
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1958: Recording: In Spite Of All The Danger, That’ll Be The Day
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.