The Beatles made a live appearance on the summer version of Thank Your Lucky Stars on this day. The edition of Summer Spin was filmed at Teddington Studio Centre in Middlesex, England.
Summer Spin and Thank Your Lucky Stars would normally have been pre-recorded, but a strike by studio technicians meant plans for The Beatles to pre-record an appearance in Aston, Birmingham, were not possible.
The Beatles flew from Liverpool to London early in the morning, following the northern England première of A Hard Day’s Night the day before. They arrived at London Airport at 3am and, following a few hours’ sleep, travelled to ABC Television’s Teddington Studios by boat on the Thames.
— George Harrison (@GeorgeHarrison) July 11, 2017
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live: Parco della Musica, Rome, Italy
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Humphrey’s Concerts By The Bay, San Diego, California
- 2009: Paul McCartney live: Halifax Common, Nova Scotia, Canada
- 2008: Sgt Pepper drum head sells for £541,250
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, Something, You Never Give Me Your Money
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Revolution, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
- 1968: John Lennon is best man at Alexis Mardas’ wedding
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens, Margate
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.