This was The Beatles’ first live show at the Majestic Ballroom in Birkenhead. They performed there a total of 17 times between this date and 10 April 1963.
The venue was owned by Top Rank, Britain’s largest entertainment organisation at the time, which ran ballrooms, cinemas, theatres and bingo halls around the country. The Beatles played at 12 of the company’s 28 ballrooms.
Their other performances at the venue took place on 5, 12, 19 and 28 July; 17 and 24 August; 8 and 22 September; 15 October; 22 and 29 November; and 15 December 1962; and 17 and 31 January; 21 February; and 10 April 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Chicago Theatre, Chicago, Illinois
- 1974: UK single release: Band On The Run by Paul McCartney and Wings
- 1968: Recording: Good Night
- 1967: George Harrison is fined for speeding
- 1966: Travel: Alaska to Tokyo
- 1965: Live: Teatro Adriano, Rome, Italy
- 1964: Travel: New Zealand to Australia
- 1963: Live: Queen’s Hall, Leeds
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.