Following a lunchtime show at the Cavern Club, Liverpool, The Beatles played two shows at the Majestic Ballroom in Birkenhead.
Due to huge demand for tickets, The Beatles performed at both 8pm and 11pm. Although two separate showings in a night was standard practice in theatres and cinemas at the time, it was unheard of in ballrooms.
The venue was owned by Top Rank, Britain’s largest entertainment organisation at the time, which ran ballrooms, cinemas, theatres and bingo halls around the country. The Beatles played at 12 of the company’s 28 ballrooms.
The Beatles played at the Majestic Ballroom on 17 occasions. Their other performances took place on 28 June; 5, 12, 19 and 28 July; 17 and 24 August; 8 and 22 September; 15 October; 22 and 29 November; and 15 December 1962; and 17 January; 21 February; and 10 April 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Stella McCartney creates Beatles t-shirts for Red Nose Day 2013
- 2010: The Beatles win Grammy Award for All Together Now
- 1975: UK single release: #9 Dream by John Lennon
- 1970: Ringo and Maureen fly from Las Vegas to Los Angeles
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 22
- 1967: Filming: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
yes, I was there and I even talked to John and Paul, unforgettable!